Saturday, February 28, 2009

And the birthday festivities conclude

Trista's birthday festivities finally came to a close with her princess party last Saturday. It was originally going to be a Hello Kitty party, then a cute unicorn toy made her decide it would be a unicorn party. When we had doughnuts on her birthday day she decided she wanted a doughnut cake in the shape of a unicorn and was set on it. Or, as set as a wishy washy 4 almost 5 year old can be. She went on and on about her unicorn doughnut cake until one day when Melissa called and asked me to go online and look at some castle cakes she was thinking of making for the twins' party. I liked the cakes, the challenge was appealing. (Yes, I think I'm certifiably insane.)
In the list of party themes we'd been through in the past year (Trista starts planning next years party on Feb 15 each year. Always has.) never had she mentioned a princess theme. I called her upstairs and sold her on how cute the cake was.
"Look at this castle cake. It's so beautiful. If you had a princess party you could have this pretty cake. Don't you want to have a princess party instead?"
"Sure, Mommy. That looks great!"
I'm evil.
I got my payback for my little bit of manipulation. It's called spending 6 hours making a stupid cake. Okay, so I never actually though of it as "stupid." I was and am proud of it; leaning towers and all. And, she loved it, which was the biggest reward. She's always such a grateful kid.

Pizza time was followed by nail-painting time. We never got to princess hairdo time because they were just having so much fun running around doing there own thing that I let them be. Sometimes I know when to step back and not make things harder on myself. Sometimes.

So, let me tell you a little bit more about this self-proclaimed masterpiece. The cake was a swirled strawberry and white cake combination topped and filled with homemade butter cream frosting. Each tower was made of 2 ice cream cones placed end to end and dipped in white chocolate. The tower toppers were waffle cones rolled in white chocolate, I had colored pink, and then rolled in clear sugar crystals.


Trista was up until 10:00 that night playing with all of the great presents she got. I can say there is definitely not a shortage of Littlest Pet Shop toys at our house.



Happy, Birthday, Tristy!

3 comments:

Alison said...

I love the cake! I like to challenge myself too, and later think, why did I do that? You will have the pictures for a long time, so it was worth it!

durenfamily said...

Hey, you are a great mom!

Anonymous said...

SOOOOO fun. And I absolutely love the cake.